OK, after 7 hours of download, I was finally able to play LOTRO. I am already a level 5 Captain, and of course I am feared throughout the server.
I just had a few questions (if anyone else is playing the BETA), and a few impressions I'd like to share.
1. Are the graphics really jerky for everyone, or is it just me? I tried turning down the graphical requirements all the way down to their lowest levels, and I still have a very major hitch in my stride every other step. I'm afraid if I play this game for too long, I'm going to have a seizure.
2. Do we really have to kill the helpless animals to start these games? Or pick berries? I don't remember anywhere in the movie or book where the hobbits had to go pick berries to save the shire.
3. I like the classes, they at least show some initiative (captain and minstrel, for example). But what about only having four races? OK, granted, the major players of humans, elves, dwarves, and hobbits are there to play for the good guys. Hopefully the game will have a very long story line for the Fellowship; otherwise, people may lose interest without the option for people to play on the side of Sauron (PvP creeps, etc. notwithstanding).
4. This is not a criticism of LOTRO, but of MMO RPG's in general. Isn't it about time for someone to think of a new game dynamic besides tank, healer, buffer, DOTer, stalker? LOTRO tries to depart somewhat from this by giving what appear to be more hybrid models, but time will tell. And it should be noted that in LOTRO character descriptions, they don't even try to disguise things, and actually say "tank" or "healer." We shall see how well they hold up in the long run.
5. Overall, I like the look and feel of the game. I'm sure Riot has played it in more detail, and can give us a little more insight into the later course of LOTRO.
Take care,
PDub
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Dub. Lemme respond to your comments.
1) My game runs smoothly, and I didn't have to change any settings. My graphics card isn't that new either, and things are fine with me. The only time it jerks is when I load into a new town, but afte the load everthing is picture perfect.
2) You're forgetting that Frodo and Sam were level 15, so they could bypass all those intro quests :p
Seriously though, I see the need for it. If we started off fighting goblins, we wouldn't be as wow'ed by the progression.
I take that back, elves fight goblins from the get-go. And humans fight brigands. But the good news is the cuddly creatures and that altruistic acts to save one's botanical hobbies ends soon enough. As oppposed to bunnies, you graduate to bears, spiders, goblins, etc. Things get nasty looking at the higher levels. Things in the Ettenmoors are very very nasty.
3) There's tons of potential to expand. We're only in a region of Eriador to begin with! They unfortunately can't make any other free peoples playable without breaking the laws of the lore.
Playing as a Creep in the Ettenmoors is pretty fun, especially hunting in packs for players. I imagine they will make more areas like that, or connect them to other zones to expand that aspect of gameplay.
4) It's true that things boil down to classical archetypes, but it seems hard to deviate from it without just meshing roles together into a single character. Actually LOTRO does this: Minstrels fight, and Captains play a Mastermind/Buffer role. I guess devs from any game are safer with rolling with what works. Sad but true.
The Creeps are more cookie-cutter in archetype, and it's obvious.
I play a Captain myself, and I've also played a Minstrel. I can solo with both. I'm happy enough with that fact. As long as the game has solo-potential, I think they're doing a good job. I don't want to be married to having to find a team to do everything!
There is also the "Fellowship Manuevers" feature to combat that adds something new to the mix. I'm not sure if all classes gain the same manuevers, but when working in a fellowship you can execute group attack commands, that lead the way to group combos and such, and you have to complete quests to acquire them. It should be fairly refreshing to have teamwork that isn't just "You do this and I'll do that" but "Execute this move so I have the ability to do this, then next round we reverse roles!"
5) The game picks up as you go along. As a human, when you enter Bree you can partake in the "Epic" quests, that is, a storyline that is primarily instances and story based, and it all starts by talking to none other than Strider himself.
You will never be shortchanged on quests you can do. My quest log is full more often than not, and NEVER have I reached the point of "No more quests I can do, I did them all". That was one of my major beefs with CoX.
The instances, with storylines flowing like action sequences, is a nice feature to all us geeks who live for immersion. I do believe Radi enjoyed that feature too.
(I saw the 2nd intro instance for elves...pretty cool)
There are tons of little things to enjoy too. Minstrels can actually play their instruments ffor crowds and "perform". I've seen Dust in the Wind, Stairway to Heaven, and other songs rendered LOTRO style. It's an RP-lovers dream come true, I can tell you that.
I'm on Brandywine in beta, and will be on Brandywine for the real thing.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not down on the game at all. I just started playing it...lol. I'm more concerned that I'm going to have to pony up for a new graphics card soon.
I'm also running around a bit on Brandywine...little Emeraldella is trying to find her way through her new world.
I haven't decided yet whether I'll pre-order, but I most likely will.
Catch up with you soon,
P Dub
I LOVED the immersive style of the action. It started as soon as I logged in and I really enjoyed it. I haven't played much, but I loved what I saw.
Some of what you mention about LoTRO Pdub are things I really like. The gameplay makes sense to me. I understand the logic used in the game structure and I can intuit my way through anything I haven't encountered before, because of that.
I didn't have any trouble with the graphics either. Loading into a new area takes a moment, but not unusually so.
I really really dug it. I think it has huge potential for group fun. :) I'm going to preorder too. I just haven't done it yet. lol
Next friday, the floodgates open, so reserve!
Do you have a purchase link for me, Riot? :)
Where is the best place to buy it?
http://www.gogamer.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online--Shadows-of-Angmar-with-Bonus-PC-Coming-Soon_stcVVproductId8918165VVcatId444781VVviewprod.htm
I bought it from them, you get your beta key within a few hours. I'd suggest not using Yahoo as your email account, as I never got my key.
They also have the collector's version too.
Post a Comment